EXERCISE #5: “ROLL PRIMER”
This exercise works on establishing the correct pressure points in the fulcrum to establish a proper buzz and double bounce roll.
• Buzzes: In the first section of the exercise, establish a consistent motion with the forearm and wrist with the check and add pressure in the fulcrum to push the stick into the head for the buzz. Make sure that the motion and volume doesn’t change from check to buzz.
• Double Bounces: A double bounce requires slightly less pressure in the fulcrum than the buzz. Listen to the spacing of the double bounce and regulate the fulcrum pressure to create evenly spaced 32nd notes. Slower tempos will require less fulcrum pressure, faster tempos will require more.
• As you move into the 2nd section of the exercise (on both buzz and double bounce), maintain evenness of rhythm, consistent motion and consistency of volume from hand to hand. Use a full stroke height at the slowest tempo & gradually lower the height as you speed up.
• Practice with the play-along video or tracks to make sure you’re maintaining a consistent tempo, especially in the 3rd section where the tendency might be to drag the rolls at the faster tempos.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE MARCHING PERCUSSION 101 EXERCISE PACKET
Including Full Battery Percussion Score and Part Booklet
PLAY-ALONG VIDEO 1
Battery Only (No Tracks)
PLAY-ALONG AUDIO: BATTERY ONLY
Alternate Exercise for Tenors and Bass Drums
• Utilize this around pattern for buzzes and double bounces.
• Alternate 16th/32nd note splits (R L or RLRL).
• Diddle patterns in m5-8 are optional. Alternatively, you can play with drags (RRL or R/LL) – or play the 32nds as single strokes (RLR or R/RL).
• 32nd notes in m9-12 can also be played as doubles (RRLL).
PERFORMANCE WITHOUT LIMITATION…BY DESIGN
For nearly 60 years, we at the Vic Firth Company have focused on developing and manufacturing what has become the world’s most popular drumsticks, mallets, alternative implements, and accessories… with the best durability, feel, and sound options, across the widest variety of genres and styles.